Sunday, March 13, 2011

Let the Haters Hate

For the past couple of years, I have been hearing the term “hater”… and think it’s somewhat strange that most people seem to think they have one and actually care about who their haters are.  While it’s true that they do exist, I don’t believe that everyone has one.  Well.  Not by the definition that we like to use for “hater”.  There is a difference between being hated on and simply not being liked.  In my opinion… since I’m not sure there is an ‘official’ definition, a hater is someone that {attempts to} weaken another person’s progress just for the heck of it.  Now.  I want you to sit back and think about that.  Why do you think YOU are worthy of someone actually hating on you for no reason?  Because if you’ve given a person a reason to dislike you… from your personality to something you’ve done to the person, then you are simply being disliked for a reason.  Maybe you do have a hater.  Maybe it’s because of something you’ve accomplished that they are jealous of, or just because of that person’s perception of you.  What does that say about you?  Absolutely nothing.  If anything, it says more about that person and how they feel about themselves then it does for you as a person.  So, now you are excited because someone is hating on you for an imperceptible reason?  You find contentment in knowing that something about you disables someone else’s self-esteem?  Now, that says something about you.

Get ya Self-Esteem game up…

This will do two things for you.  First, it will help you identify your strengths and enable you to draw upon them to develop healthy relationships with yourself and with others.  Second, it will make your haters irrelevant.  That is if they exist. And if they don’t, you won’t care.  People who have a healthy sense of self don’t spend time trying to determine if people dislike them for no reason or give too much energy into actually caring about those people.  I don’t like everyone on this planet, and I am sure not everyone I’ve come across likes me.  But I can find better use of the energy that I have than to care about them in the sense that they affect my everyday.  I’m not saying that I don’t possess empathy for their distresses or situations that hurt them.  I just don’t care that they don’t like me.  That’s too much power to give someone! Someone that does not have my best interest at heart does not deserve that power so I don’t let them own it.  Anyways, your time is better spent focusing on the people that love and care about you and doing things that really matter to you.  Make the right things and the right people important and relevant.  Remember that not everyone is going to agree with you or care about things you care about.  That doesn’t make you or your passions irrelevant.  It means they don’t fit into that vision.  You want to be truly happy?  Put your hater blockers on and keep it moving.